Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 2: The Versatility of Tenderloin Revealed

Instead of counting sheep last night, I counted pigs; you'd think images of such deliciousness would only arouse anxiety, but sleep came quickly.  This only goes to show that pork is soothing and relaxing.

I awoke well rested and decided that if I was going to spend a month with a focus on eating, I'd have to balance it out with exercise...45 minutes a morning on my stationary bike should help keep things in check.
Breakfast was simple, an egg from my family's chickens and some barese sausage that I had leftover in the fridge.  I left the yolk nice and runny so I could dip the sausage in it.  Ooey gooey goodness.






The story behind my month of pork is multifaceted, but a big push came from a TED Talks presentation by Matt Cutts where he suggests people try something they've always wanted to do for 30 days in order to develop a new habit, or knock something off life's "to do" list.  Originally. I wanted to learn how to do a backflip, but my fear of complete paralysis held me back.  Maybe in April.

Lunch was leftover pork tenderloin from last night (no need for a photo) and a salad.   Good thing there was enough to share with some coworkers who were drawn into the lunchroom by the smell of bacon; a fight could have broken out over it.   Like lasagna, the day old tenderloin seemed like it had become more flavourful, drawing in even more bacon essence overnight.

Dinner started with some of my family's home made sausage (my mom claimed I messed it up while my parents were on vacation and I was on sausage watch).  The main was yet even more tenderloin, this time prepared 3 different ways: dill lemon garlic, paprika lime, and grainy mustard and herbes de provence.  I know its only day two, and some people might say that I'm being premature when I say this, but can you ever get tired of tenderloin?








I suppose some might, but I'm not one of them.  I'm the kind of guy that can eat pasta every day; I see it as the delivery mechanism for a good sauce.  And although tenderloin is delicious on its own, it's also a wonderful base on which to build other flavours.  Some people might prefer chicken breast for this; but chicken can often be tasteless, dry...and generally the choice of boring food losers the world over.

No comments:

Post a Comment