Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 30: the calm before the storm


Here I was, the second last day.  Tomorrow was already planned, a lunch with my family where a suckling pig would be the guest of honour.   But something about a big finish can make you take your attention off the here and now.  Maybe that’s one of the reasons I had no will to make breakfast this morning, the other being that I was tired and cranky from a distinct lack of sleep.  The flap on the fan in my bathroom was slapping open and shut all night.  Sometimes I can tune it out, and other times it drives me nuts.  Last night was the latter.
I thought I could make up lost ground by picking up something close to work, but a packed schedule conspired against me… I gave up and vowed to make up for my breakfast laziness/failure at lunch…and I did.  By the time I got to eat, my stomach was making more noises than an old arthritic man climbing a set of steep stairs.  The groaning could be heard all across the office.  The cure was found in leftovers.  Not only did I assemble a kick-ass sandwich using last night’s pork cutlets topped with mayonnaise, grainy mustard, havarti cheese and a squeeze of lemon, but I also managed to find some fried pork dumplings at a place I go to often, but where I never noticed they made them.  Let’s call those dumplings buried treasure…even though they were quite fresh.

Pork cutlet sandwich




The pork dumpling cousin of the cookie monster...nom nom nom!


Blood sausage made another appearance at dinner.  In searching it out, I had made a quick sweep of St. Lawrence Market, but there was none to be found.  There was all manner of other sausages, game meats and every type of kebab known to man.  But still, no blood sausage.  Undeterred, I ventured into the recesses of the basement, where I found a small European grocer who had a long coil that looked like something out of an adult film…not that I would know of course.  I asked the girl “what do you serve with this?”  She looked at me blankly and said “You serve it hot” as if “hot” was an ingredient.  Dinner was hot blood sausage, pork liver pate with goat’s cheese brie and an arugula salad with avocado. 

Blook sausage...with the secret ingredient...heat




Pork liver pate on crostini


No comments:

Post a Comment